Last week we talked about Fitness and Promised to go in depth this week about fitness so here is a short lesson on Fitness
WHAT IS PHYSICAL FITNESS?
- The ability of the body to carry out everyday activities with little fatigue and enough energy left for emergencies
WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF PHYSICAL FITNESS?
The factors that collectively determine fitness levels, each of which can be measured.
These components are divided into:
- Health-related fitness
- Skill-related fitness
These are related to how well the systems of your body work.
- Cardiovascular fitness/Stamina: the ability to exercise the entire body for long periods of time.
- Body Composition: the percentage of body fat compared to lean body mass
- Flexibility: the range of movement possible at a joint.
- Muscular Strength: the amount of force that can be produced by a single contraction of a muscle.
- Muscular Endurance: how long a muscle group continue muscle movement without fatigue.
These components determine, to a large extent, how successful we are at developing skills and participating in sports.
- Speed: how quickly you move from point A to point B
- Agility: how quickly you change direction while moving
- Balance: how well you keep yourself from falling down while standing still or moving around
- Coordination: how well the senses and the different parts of the body work together to perform activities
- Reaction Time: how quickly you start to move after receiving a signal
- Power: how quickly you apply the full force of your muscles